Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Progress

For those of you wondering about how things are going with the breastfeeding I thought I would give a little update. You can find the first part of the story here.

 We had our appointment with speech therapy this last week. They want me to pump while I feed him with the haberman special needs bottle, then put him to an empty breast. They also recommended a soothie pacifier to strengthen his suck. It scares me to give him a pacifier but I am hopeful it will help not harm his suck. He has been doing great with the finger feeding (suck training) so I decided to do all of his feedings this way instead of using the bottle. I have been doing it since Friday night and I cannot even explain to you the difference in his suck. When we first started he didn't even know how to suck. All he wanted to do was chomp on the finger which of course doesn't get him any milk. I also had to hold his cheeks for him to obtain any suction at all. Now he isn't chomping as much anymore and doesn't always need cheek support. He still however gets overwhelmed at the breast so I am only putting him to an empty breast and feeding him in a reclined or laid back position.



 He still has his good feedings and his awful feedings. The awful feedings are hard for me mentally but I am in a way better place than I was with Scarlett at this point. I am looking at it as a marathon, not a sprint. One foot in front of the other and one day at a time. I feel I owe it to Lane to keep going.

 It is A LOT of work but I feel good knowing we are going forward and he is doing great. He is gaining well and I am making enough for him so far thanks to all the herbs. I had to dip a little into my freezer stash this last week due to a bout of mastitis (yeah, I can't seem to catch a break). I was so thankful for a husband who could work from home and my brothers girlfriend who helped out while I was shaking with a fever. My supply dipped a little but is now back to normal. Of course I still have to take all of my supplements.

I have so many things to be thankful for this time around that I have to keep my mind focused on them. Lane is such a good little baby and rarely cries unless he is hungry or wants to be held. He also sleeps great at night going for about 2 four to five hour stretches. Unfortunately, I still have to get up and pump so I am not getting much sleep yet. I am also thankful my milk supply is better this time around. Right now I am making about 28-30 ounces a day plus nursing him a little. I have to take all my herbal supplements but haven't had to take domperidone yet. Lastly, I am so thankful I figured out why Lane had a dysfunctional suck and we are working on it much sooner than I did with Scarlett so there is hope for us yet!

1 comment: