Thursday, January 12, 2012

Things I have learned since becoming a mom!

1. The bathroom is no longer a place of solitude

The bathroom has always been my favorite place to go and relax. I love long hot showers and baths after a long day. Occasionally I get the bathroom to myself when my husband gets home, but the majority of the time Scarlett is there with me. When I have to go to the bathroom , shower, or get ready for the day she is always right there. I can't even tell you the number of times she has sat on my lap while going to the bathroom, sat in the ergo while I put make-up on and dried my hair, and even climbed into the bath to join her momma (one time she even did it fully clothed!).

2. Your food is no longer your own

No matter what I am always sharing my food. Even when she has just got done eating and I have taken her out of her highchair she comes over and signs "more". I look at her like "Seriously? You just got done eating." But of course you know mom's food is better even though it is the exact same thing!

3. Your house will no longer ever be perfectly clean no matter how hard you try

This has been a hard one. When I was nursing and pumping constantly my house was gross disgusting. I am ashamed to even admit it, but my bathroom went 1 month without being cleaned. It got so bad my husband actually cleaned it! Things are definitely better now and my bathroom gets cleaned a lot more often, but I still have a hard time. Just a few nights ago I had folded two huge loads of laundry and had left them in the basket down in the living room. Scarlett was playing with her toys and I had to run upstairs and get something quick. I was gone for maybe a minute and I came back down to almost every single piece of clothing strewn all around my living room and dining room. How she could make such a mess in less than a minute I will never know. So instead of following her around constantly throughout the day picking up behind her I tend to leave most of it til the end of the day. If I didn't I would spend the majority of the day picking up after her. Can't wait til she can learn to pick things up herself. We are working on it but you can't really expect much from a 1 year old.


4. You develop a strong stomach

When you become a mother no one ever tells you you will constantly be dealing with spit-up, drooling, puke, boogers, poop (well maybe that one is a given) and all other things nasty. This one wasn't to hard for me being a nurse and already having dealt with things far nastier than a poopy diaper ( have you ever seen a stage 4 bed sore- way more disgusting and smelly than any poopy diaper), but it was extremely hard for my husband. I can't tell you how many times he has gagged while changing a diaper. And when we started having to dunk our cloth diapers because she moved to solids, he looked at me like I was crazy. Then I told him how much money we were going to save and he no longer had a problem with it!

The other day I was talking to a friend of mine who also has a 1 year old. Somehow we got on the subject of boogers (i think it was because I was telling her if you ask Scarlett where her nose is she picks her nose then decides she wants to pick yours!). She preceded to tell me that that morning her daughter sneezed and she was disgusted by the fact that a lettuce leaf from their supper the previous night had come out! Oh the joy of toddlers!

5. Lots of time to primp is no longer an option and high heels are OUT!


Because you never have time alone and always have a little person hanging at your heels your time to get ready is limited. Before I had Scarlett I didn't spend much time showering, putting make-up up on, drying hair, etc., but it was definitely more time than I spend now! It used to probably take me about 1 hr and now I am lucky if I get 20 minutes.

I occasionally see moms out wearing ridicuclously high heels while toting children around. And truthfully I am in awe!! The other day I wore high boots and by the end of the day I thought my feet were going to fall off and my hips were going to give out. Toting a toddler around on your hip all day while wearing heels is not my idea of a fun time! I trully don't know how those other women do it. Give me my tennis shoes or flat shoes anyday!

6. You learn to keep the toilet paper up and the toilet lid down

I don't know how many times I have forgotten to put the toilet lid down and end up finding toys, a whole roll of toilet paper, or even my toothbrush once (That was a Target trip day to get mommy a new one!) in the toilet! Scarlett is fascinated by the toilet and anything with water in it (my poor dogs only get water when I remember to put down their dish for a moment). Another fascination is the toilet paper. She has ruined more toilet paper rolls than I can count by throwing them in the bathtub or toilet. So the moral of the story is that I have learned to always put the lid down and always put the paper up!

Things change when you have children and each stage is different. Even though I may not always get to have the bathroom to myself, eat in peace, have a clean house, or time to get ready; I know their will come a time when I will miss these days. When I will wish I had my little toddler to tote around and take baths with me! So today and hopefully everyday I am going to try to enjoy all the little things!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Megan, these are SO true and SO funny!!!!! The hardest job we'll ever love, right?

    ReplyDelete