Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Spirited

Today we took Scarlett to get her pictures taken! So excited to get to see them. But the photographer and I got into a discussion about our children. I was telling her about Scarlett and how she was colicky in the beginning, how she hates snuggling, is so active, can be demanding, and is all around a high need/ strong willed child. She smiled and said her first, who is now 18, was exactly the same. She said it was so difficult to parent her at times, but what helped her was to look positively at her daughters attributes. She stopped saying the words difficult and demanding, and instead replaced them with words such a spirited and energetic. She also recommended the book "Raising your spirited child: A guide for parents whose child is more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and energetic." I am excited to get to read it.
Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, Energetic

It definitely helps to know that there are others out there who struggle or struggled to raise a spirited child. It helps me know that I am not alone and helps me when I feel I am doing something wrong when other parents have these babies who snuggle, relax, rarely cry, and sleep soundly through the night.

So today and hopefully every day I am going to embrace my spirited child knowing that she is exactly who God made her to be and there is a reason she is who she is. I am going to look positively at her temperament and talk positively about her. 



Here she is trying already trying to conquer the stairs. I could not keep her away from them. Just look at that little smirk. (Please pay no attention to the dirty floor I let my child crawl on!)

No comments:

Post a Comment